Monday, September 8, 2014

Ya Never Know, When It's Gonnaa Get Ya!

Tanner with the the Mission President and his wife.  His companion's name is Elder Damian and is from Ecuador.


Aloha my dear friends and family! 

This past week was good, and two things, amongst others, became apparent to me:

Thing #1. I am only able to speak when the spirit says so. But Tanner, what do you mean by this, you can speak whenever you want? Ha, false, This week I saw that my Spanish goes in and out, and that I can speak when I have to. 

For example, some lessons I literally don't understand, or even able to distinguish words at all, and can't speak a lick or have any idea of what to say. On the other hand, there will be times when I understand everything, and am leading the lesson, asking questions, and sharing scriptures off the top of my head. I have determined that these differences are when the people need to hear something from me, so the spirit starts talking. The difference is amazing, and when I can actually talk teaching is a ton of fun and I actually enjoy it!

I also realized this week that when you prepare for the day, you can use the things you learn a ton if you try! Every morning we have personal study for an hour, so I study the scriptures. I have found that when I mark scriptures and write them down, that I use them a ton during the next few days in lessons, or as commitments. 

Before I never thought that I would or could use the scriptures that I read so much! This is why I invite everyone to read the Book of Mormon for 5 or 10 minutes, depending on how ambitious you are, and mark a verse or two. Keep this verse in your head during the day, and see how many times you can share it with people that you encounter! I have a feeling that you will surprise your self with how much you can use it.

Some other notable things, I learned the difference between vino and vaso. During lunch one day I asked our pensionista for a vino. She didn't understand and after a few minutes of charades she realized I meant vaso. Vino, ladies and gentleman, is wine in Spanish. So apparently I was asking for wine instead of a cup... who knew?! So next time you are in a restaurant remember, vino is wine, and vaso is cup! 

I also learned that wall sits are terrible for missionaries and really catch up with you around 4 o'clock, and that sometimes you just gotta laugh. 

I also found a few things:  another white person (total albino), the bull fighting arena in Tuman (but not the ticket stand), and that people like to train their chickens for cock fights in the streets, because apparently that's legal here! 

Well that my week in a nut shell. Things are going well here, we have about 3 or 4 investigators who are progressing, and we'll hopefully be able to baptize a family this month! This week I have started speaking a ton more Spanish and have had a break through, at times. 

Good luck this week and remember to prepare for the day!

Love Elder Lewis

3 Nephi 18:18-21

And let me know if you want me to talk about anything different, These are just my jumbled thoughts that probably don't make a ton of sense!



No comments:

Post a Comment