Tuesday, September 16, 2014

We Are Rebels

My companion showing off our apartment.  This is the best picture that describes how big our room is.  I am taking the picture in the doorway/outside.

Hello everyone! 
I hope you all had a great week and remembered to share some scriptures with some people. This past week was pretty good, we taught a TON of people but unfortunately didn't make a ton of progress on our investigators.


One great thing this week was on Saturday we had a fund raiser for a couple that are investigators, to help them be married. We had an apollata, which is where people pay whomever is running the fundraiser to give them a plate of lunch. I guess it is a fairly common way to raise money, and we had great success with ours this past week! 


Elder Damian and I helped out a few days with this, by helping peel a HUGE bag of potatoes and also being the delivery boys (I guess they didn't trust us cooking the chicken or actually cooking). But from this I did learn how to peel a potato with a knife, and also that the Peruvian ladies can peel a potato about 568 times faster than I can. That is why they only let me do one, and then probably decided that they didn't want to wait all day for me to do a second one.

 
But nevertheless the activity went well and the family got the money they needed! So now they will be married hopefully next week and then we will baptize the parents! (The kids were baptized a few months ago) So I am super excited to bring that entire family into the church.


Also, this past week we have had a ton of success with teaching lessons to investigators with a member. This actually led to us getting into a bit of trouble, but more of that later. We have 4 priests in the ward here, 2 of which have mission calls, who are always willing to go out with us and teach. So much so, that every day except one this past week we had one young man with us all morning and another all afternoon and night!

 
We were also able to go on mini splitz twice this week! Mini splitz are when Elder Damian and I each go out with a priest and visit people. I am not 100% confident that we are allowed to split up and do this but apparently Elder Damian has been doing this his entire mission, and we are able to visit twice as many people so I'm not complaning to the President:) 


I am, however, complaning a bit in my head because of how hard it is. Even though I have gone out with a priest who has a call and who was actually Elder Damian's companion for 3 weeks before me, and who knows a ton, when we go on these splitz it is a ton harder and scary for me. 


Suddenly I have to know where to go and think of people to visit, get in the door and make small talk with them, then lead a lesson and set up a time to come back. This is terrifying because up until now I have only learned how to speak Spanish about the church. But alas, I am still living and it has been great practice!

 
Just in the two days that we have done it, I can tell I have gotten a ton better and more confident in these other parts of missionary work! 


But these mini splitz aren't why we are rebels, we are rebels because of the amount of this we have been doing. This past week we taught 29 lessons with a member present. This is a ridclious number for missionaries I think, because the norm of excellence for our mission is 14 and all the other companionships in the mission average 8 a week...

 
We were super excited about his, but unfortunately our district leader got a little mad, I think, and said we should focus more on less people. All of this was told to me by my companion in angry Spanish, (slightly easier to understand than excited Spanish) so I'm not exactly sure if this is correct. But nevertheless we taught a ton this past week, and I got a ton of practice that helped a TON!


So that is my past week!  Also, one small thing, it has rained the past two nights. This, I am pretty sure is super rare, and has wrecked havoc on the dirt roads here, with is almost all of them... 


But anyways, this past week was really good, I learned a ton, had a lot of fun, and progressed this unstoppable work! Good luck to everyone this week, and keep sharing those verses!Love Elder Lewis



This is what the area north of the main road that runs east and west looks like. South of the main road that goes to Pomalca, the houses are much closer together with smaller streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment